Motorcycle Insurance for Sports Professionals.

 Motorcycle insurance is required by law for anyone riding a motorcycle on the road. It protects you against liability if your vehicle is involved in an accident and also helps cover any damages you may cause to another vehicle or injury you could cause to yourself or anyone else.

What are the different types of motorcycle cover?

Looking at the types of cover you’ll come across, there are three to be aware of:

Third-Party Only (TPO)
This is the most basic level of cover you’re required to have by law in the UK. It is the most affordable level of cover for riders, and it essentially covers damage or injury to third parties only. While it is seen as a more affordable option, it’s always worth doing your research around a policy plan that suits you.

Third-Party, Fire and Theft (TPFT)
All the benefits of Third-Party Only Insurance, plus cover against theft or fire damage. This does not cover any other damage sustained to your bike, but you may be able to claim through the insurance of the individual who potentially damaged your bike. Please note that the damage would need to be at fault of the other party for your claim to be accepted.

All the benefits of TPFT, but you’re also covered for damage to you and your bike (depending on the policies laid out by your insurance provider), including vandalism and accidental damage. This also covers medical expenses you may incur in the event of an accident that causes injury to yourself.

Your insurance provider may also provide you with a courtesy bike, should yours need a number of repairs. This isn’t always the case so if it’s something you care about, it’s best to check with your insurance provider and its policies.

What are the different classes of motorcycle use?

It’s easy to get the types of cover and the classes of motorbike mixed up, but they are both separate areas of your insurance premium to be aware of. Essentially, the classes of use are what you use your bike for and these are split into three categories:

Social, domestic and pleasure
This level of cover is for motorbike owners that only use their bike for personal and private use. This also means they don’t use their bike for work, including commuting.

This level of cover insures riders that use their bike for social, domestic or pleasure purposes and for travelling to and from one place of work.

You can only have one place of work applied to your policy, which should be your most regular place of work. If you travel to more than one place each week, you should consider business use cover.

Business Use
This cover is for if you travel to more than one location for work, which includes any work-related destination (e.g. for commuting to both a competition).



Here at All Sport Insurance, we specialise in insurance for sporting professionals. That means we know how difficult it can be to get the right cover. That is why we have specialist insurers who provide us with bespoke policies just for our unique clients.